Thursday, February 15, 2007

Art Show

February 15,2007

Last night, before a family Valentine's dinner at a local Mexican restaurant, we all attended our youngest son's Gustav Klimt-inspired art exhibit! Every week when I would pick him up from class, he wouldn't say too much about what they had done--short descriptions (when, of course, I was looking for a beautifully-painted verbal picture!). Well, we were very pleasantly surprised at the outcome--great artistry for an 11-year-old boy! Here's a photo of one of his finished piece, and a close-up of the skirting:

Gustav Klimt-inspired art

Close-up of skirting

As you can see they learned and executed a number of various techniques! Beautiful! Now, I've got to figure out how to get him to print on my fabrics!! :)

Now, on to the post script of the Trials and Tribulations of Fabric Dyeing! I went on to Round Two of the Mottled Browns! All was well as I pulled my second batch (if you'll remember the first batch went military green after rinsing), and began rinsing. Well, I got tired of rinsing and rinsing and so I did the soak. Instructions said to pour warm water with some dish soap detergent, with no bleach, into a bucket. So, I did this and ran to do some other things. Came back, and it was military green again! I think I'm meant to do something with this color!! I was so bummed! Well, I saved the dyes, and I put in a swatch of cheesecloth into each of the five quart-sized tubs. I rinsed in only cold water, and nothing else! Wha-La! They are BROWN in color (2nd generation/lighter, but BROWN!). So, in all my sleuthing, it must be the warmer water (all my other fabrics with red dye were fine). Below are photos from Round One and Round Two, and the cheesecloth in the middle!

Well, now, off to finish my Art Quilt class homework assignment due in the morning! I will post pictures when I'm done. I think I'm finally back in commission here!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

What type of dyes are you using? There are a couple of really good dyeing sites online. If you are interested I could email the addresses to you.

Anonymous said...

I abselutely love the painting by your son, if you hadn't told me it was your son i would of thought it was Gustav himself!

Fiber fanatic said...

Joyce,

Thanks for your post! I tried to e-mail you directly, but the e-mail kept coming back. For the dyeing class, I was using Dharma Procion dyes. Would love to see what sites you use for dyeing. Thanks!

Anonymous,
Thanks for your comments about my son's Gustav Klimt art! Funny, but today he saw me writing a new post, and asked if anyone even looks at my blog! Perfect timing!