It's a work in progress all right! Here are some of the components of what is to evolve as my last Art Quilt Class project with Jane LaFazio!
Various hand-dyed fabrics: silk organza, silk dupioni, cheesecloth. A few rows of knitted boucle'.

Hand-dyed cheesecloth and cotton pearl thread, along with a heat-distorted crocheted metallic eyelash yarn.
Jane gave each student a half-yard of silk organza to work with. I decided to hand-dye most of it. Our local art store had a sale on the little 2 oz. jars of Procion MX the other day, so I bought a jar each of gold, bronze, rust and black (see top photo for results). I had hoped for a more mottled look, but I think the organza and the cheesecloth were just so highly absorbant, that it didn't take much to dye them full-strength! I'm still learning here!
Additionally, I used some black PRO-Fab textile paint to stamp bubble wrap to the silk dupioni. Hmmm...not sure what I'll do with that, or if I will stamp some other things to the silk, etc. As you can see, this is totally a work in progress! AND, I have less than 24 hours to "Make it work," as Tim Gunn (Project Runway) says! (By the way, I've been recording all of the shows from the previous seasons--Bravo cable channel has been running them back-to-back on Wednesday afternoons). So, I will be off now to "Make it work!" I don't want to go to our last class empty-handed!
Before I go...here's a photo of how Jane used some "Lutradur." I would like to incorporate this--once I find my piece of it (it must be hiding behind all the Timtex and Pellon stuff I bought last week!). Jane hand-dipped the Lutradur in acrylic paint, and let it dry. She then stitched the Lutradur to fabric in a grid shape. Jane then used a heat gun to burn away the Lutradur to show the fabric beneath! Love this!
Ok, enough inspiration! Time to get to work!
No comments:
Post a Comment