Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Time to re-group!


Our beautiful beach--a great place to re-group!


January 24, 2007

Time to re-group! A lot to process from the various classes I've taken. I want to experiment, and spend some time just letting things "gel." Today I will work on my first assignment in my "Art Quilting" class with Jane LaFazio at the Oceanside Museum of Art. We are to complete a small landscape quilt (8 1/2 x 11) for Friday. I'm going to go "play" today, and fine-tune my initial composition.

I added a couple pictures from the Sandi Cummings workshop down in my previous post about her class, and below are some photos of my first fabric-dyeing experience! Everything went extremely well, sans a small glitch with my gradation assignment... Upon pulling each of the five fat quarters out of their soaking, they all looked gorgeous! Then, my beautiful browns, started to change to a military green upon soaking in the Synthrapol! I was so disappointed! Now, working with Marjie (my online teacher, who is awesome!), I'm trying to figure out what happened! She doesn't think it's the Synthropol. So, later this week, I'll try again, and see what happens. She has promised to stand on her head, and take a picture for our class gallery if I am right! I'm making no promises of anything if I'm wrong! So here are a few photos:

I've staked my claim to the kitchen!


The results of Lesson One: Solids!



Lesson Two: Mottled Colors--Soaking



Results of Lessons Two and Three

Last photo a bit out of focus (sorry). Lesson Two is on the left: secondary colors, including purple, orange and green. The colors are perfect (this screen doesn't show the purple accurately). The five fabrics on the right side are Lesson Three--gradations. The lightest color actually is a pretty beige color (why didn't it change?). The other four, though, turned the military green! Should have been beautiful browns! I WILL try again!





No comments: